Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wheat Mantou 麥饅頭

I finally got my courage up a few weeks ago to make these wheat steamed buns. My dad always makes regular steamed buns and they are so good that I can eat 3 at a time and they're the size of my palm! I told you I like my carbs. :)

Wheat steamed buns are basically dough molded into pieces and steamed for around 20 minutes. They are also known as mantou,饅頭, and they have a nice "spongy" texture. Some steamed buns may be denser, while others are as fluffy as a cloud. There are a variety of these buns: sweet, savory, wheat, filled and possibly even more. My mom always go to the Chinese supermarket to get these soft wheat mantou and I've always wanted to try making it myself.

After making it, I'm pretty happy with the results. Next time, however, I will replace some of the whole wheat flour with all purpose flour because it had an overly strong wheaty/earthy flavor. The texture was not as soft and fluffy as the store bought mantou, but I'm sure that can be changed the next time I make it. I had to add a bit more whole wheat flour because my dough was a bit sticky.

Wheat Mantou 麥饅頭
Slightly Adapted from from Rasa Malaysia
Makes 12
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Ingredients
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat pastry flour
2 tsp yeast (it didn't specify what type, so I just used instant yeast)
2 tsp baking powder (it helps prevent the mantou from getting ugly, wrinkled tops)
1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup warm milk (more may be needed)

Directions
Proof the yeast in a 1/2 cup of water mixed with 2 tbsp sugar. Stir the sugar into the water to dissolve it and set the yeast mixture aside for 10 minutes.
Photobucket
Whisk whole wheat flour and wheat pastry flour together.
Photobucket
Add in the yeast mixture and mix for a few seconds, preferably using a dough scraper. Then add in 1 cup milk and continue stirring until all the ingredients are combined. If the dough is still dry, add one up to 1/4 cup milk, maybe even more, depending on the humidity.
Photobucket
Knead until the dough forms into a ball, it may take 3 minutes or so. Please do not over knead it. Cover with saran wrap and proof the dough until doubled in size, in a warm place, around 1 hour.
Photobucket

Prepare little pieces of parchment paper around 1.5 inches x 2 inches for setting the dough on. The mantou will be steamed on these papers for easy removal from the steamer.

After the dough has doubled in size, knead in the baking powder. In the original recipe's directions, it asked for a paste of 2 tbsp water and 2 tsp baking powder, but my dough was already a bit sticky so I just directly added the 2 tsp baking powder. Don't over knead the dough!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Shape the dough into a ball and portion it into quarters.
Photobucket

Sprinkle whole wheat flour onto the surface of the counter. Place the portioned dough onto the counter and roll into rectangles.
Photobucket
Starting from the shorter side, roll the dough toward yourself so that it forms a roll, just like rolling cinnamon rolls.
Photobucket
Pinch the side ends together and then cut the log into 3 pieces or any way you prefer. Place each piece onto a snippet of parchment paper and place them on the steamer pan.
Photobucket
Let them rise for 20 more minutes. If you prefer tighter crumbed steamed buns, don't even let them proof any longer, just directly steam it. However, if you like softer, fluffier buns they have to have an additional 20 minute proofing time.
Photobucket
Prepare the steamer by boiling water in a pan. After the water boils, place the tray of buns onto the pan and steam. Steam these buns for around 20 minutes, on medium high heat. If they are under steamed and the pan lid is opened, the buns might deflate. If the water droplets on the pan lid drop onto the buns, the buns will be ugly and wrinkled. So I think you can err on the side of oversteaming the buns, without any negative consequences. (At least I don't know of any) After the time is up, turn off the fire and let it "cool" for a few minutes before removing the buns and steaming the next batch.
Photobucket
These may be served with red bean paste, pork floss, braised beef and more. Or, just eat them plain.

They may be frozen after they are cooled, just place them in a zip lock bag. When you want to eat them again, just microwave with some water sprinkled on top until it is soft again for a quick breakfast/lunch/dinner. If you don't like microwaves, these buns may be re steamed.

Notes: Remember that you are steaming buns, don't forget to turn off the fire or you will find yourself with a burnt pan and burnt buns. Once, my dad made buns on the 4th of July and when we came home, we discovered a pan of burnt, hard as rock buns and a smoky kitchen. That wasn't fun....but our house didn't burn down. whewf

Make sure you add enough water to the pan, you don't want to run out of water and risk the deflating of your mantou while you add more water to the pan.

Also don't let them sit outside at room temperature for more than a couple of days, they will mold. I know this from experience...maybe this is common sense. haha

6 comments:

  1. I love soft as clouds mantous too! ur mantous look soft to me :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I can't believe you know how to make mantou!! And with wheat too so it's healthier lol. This looks soooo good! It's lunchtime over here and boy am I feeling hungry. I love mantou dipped in some good meat sauce. Your mantou looks so soft and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't believe you made your own mantou! i remember steaming mantou with my grandma when i was little and i still do it annually with her when i return to Malaysia for my holiday trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. crustabakes, Thanks. The first batch was denser for me because I didn't allow them to rise. I think these look softer than they actually taste. :D

    Sharon, I think you'll be able to make this too. I agree, wheat is definitely much more healthier. Now I won't feel as guilty if I eat several at one go. haha I always feel hungry after looking at food blogs too, especially at 1 or 2 in the night, when I'm up late studying. I look at the blogs to keep me awake from time to time. (Maybe that's not such a great studying method, but it works. :)

    grub, Actually, they seem more difficult than they really are! It's just like baking bread, but you're steaming it instead. Steaming mantou with your grandma sounds like such a fun tradition. Mantou sure brings me a lot of good memories of my dad making them and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think yours look good too! And how great your dad also makes them. A real family tradition!
    I think the only difference we have is I only let the first "proof" last 5 minutes. That'll make less air and perhaps contribute to a softer texture?
    But I didn't know that adding baking powder will help prevent wrinkled tops! I'm glad I learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. minneville, You're welcome! It's always a treat whenever my dad makes the mantou, because it always takes a whole day of proofing and kneading to make.
    Hmm, maybe that's why. I'm not sure either. I love the type of mantou with the skin, if you know what I mean. I learned about the baking powder tip from my parent's church friend. I'm glad that I was able to share that with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails