Saturday, May 15, 2010

My First Fried Rice

Photobucket
I made my first fried rice last Friday for a Chinese school project. I had to cook it the night before Chinese school, the next day it still tasted good even though it became 2 days old rice. Here's the recipe. As you can tell, I added a lot of veggies.

So I just followed all the directions and it turned out good. The only problem I had was the rice sticking to the pan...it eventually became this "chip". This is what happened.
Photobucket

Now the step by step instructions.

First, I prepared the marinade.
Photobucket
Here's the ground meat with the egg.
Photobucket
I then added the amount of meat needed for the recipe into the marinade and mixed it together.

Also, remember to refrigerate the cooked rice a day in advance, to ensure that your rice won't become soggy when it is cooked.
Photobucket

Then I heated up the pan and then added oil. When it was ready I started cooking the meat.
Photobucket

Keep cooking it until it's almost done, but not really.
Photobucket
I realize now that I might have overdone it, but the overall product turned out fine.
Photobucket
Put the meat in a separate bowl.
Photobucket
Prepare the veggies, I used cabbage and spring onions.
Photobucket

Cook the egg, and when the egg is almost done, add the rice. Mix.
Photobucket

Add the soy sauce.
Photobucket

and the cabbage and meat.
Photobucket
After I stirred in the cabbage I was worried that it wouldn't cook because it wasn't in contact with the pan. However, after a while it cooked, so don't worry if that happens to you. I am still a beginner cook though, so I doubt it will happen to other people. :)

Then, we're done! Yay! Mission accomplished.
Photobucket

Funny short story: This rice was for the Chinese school project right? Well, the project was cook a dish, get the recipe, and give a report on how to cook it. It ended up with half the class bringing fried rice cuz it's one of the easiest thing to make. Lol

2 comments:

  1. Hi Esther
    Your fried rice looks pretty good for a teenager. Brings me to shame, I couldnt cook when I was a teenager like you.

    I am not a fried rice expert, but you can mix the cooked rice with 1 large egg & 1 tsp sesami oil in a bowl and use a fork to comb through the rice. That way, the rice will not stick to the pan so easily. Then you can still fry an omelette or scrambled egg in the pan and add the rice in.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everybody Eats Well in Flanders,
    Thank you for your kind words. :) You made my day. Actually, I'm not that good at cooking. I tried to cook these teriyaki like chicken and ended up with curry like chicken.... lol

    Oh cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember to do that when I cook fried rice again. That's a once in a blue moon occurrence haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails