Tuesday, January 25, 2011

New York Style Coffee Cake

Last month, I bought a huge container of sour cream. I wanted to make Honey Bee Sweet's marble cake and to attempt making many more desserts that required sour cream. With that container of sour cream I was able to make 1 batch of scones, 1 marble cake, 1 sour cream pound cake, 1 New York style coffee cake and 1 batch of chocolate glazed donut muffins. I was halfway through the container of sour cream when I didn't know what else to make. I went on google reader and found this recipe that used a bunch of sour cream. Right then and there, I decided that I would make this cake.

The cake was pretty simple. The only problem I ran into while making this cake was I ran out of eggs. A few steps into the cake making, I looked in my fridge and discovered that we only had one egg left! Luckily, my aunt and uncle live only a few blocks away, so I quickly called and asked if I could have some eggs. My grandma answered the phone and said, "Come on over." I rode my bike there, got the eggs, returned home and promptly started continuing my cake mixing. Problem solved!

I didn't have a 9x13 glass pan so I used a 8x12 glass pan. I chose to decrease the topping by 25%. Boy am I glad I did that! When the cake was baking, it rose; if I had made the full amount of topping, my cake would have spilled over. That would have been a terrible disaster... Now it's time for the recipe.

Thanks to Karly from Buns In My Oven for sharing this recipe!


New York Style Coffee Cake

Very lightly adapted from Buns In My Oven who got the recipe from Baked Explorations
(I changed the proportion of the crumb topping and the cake. I also slightly decreased the amount of sugar in the cake.)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Ingredients
Crumb Topping
3/4 cup brown sugar, semi firmly packed
6 tbsp granulated sugar
a scant 1/2 tsp of salt (I tried .4 tsp)
3 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, melted
234 grams all purpose flour or 2 cups flour minus 2 tbsp

Cake
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter (1 1/2 sticks)
a scant 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I definitely didn't use the whole amount)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*F and butter the 8x12 inch pan. I used the leftover butter wrappers from all the butter that was used in this recipe and rubbed the leftover butter on the pan. A metal pan may be used, but the cake will have crispy edges.

For the crumb topping, mix the sugars, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Photobucket
Whisk in the melted butter until the mixture is combined. Photobucket
Mix in the flour until uniform in mixture. Spread crumb topping on a sheet of parchment paper to dry.
Photobucket

For the cake, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

Cream butter to a smooth consistency, add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Don't over mix!
Photobucket
Scrape the sides of the bowl and continue mixing for 30 seconds. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract, just beating until uniform in mixture.
Photobucket
Add the flour mixture that was set aside in three portions. Making sure to scrape the bowl after each addition. Again, do not over mix.

Spread the batter into the prepared glass pan.
Photobucket
Now, grab a fistful of the crumb topping and squish it together. Then peel off pieces and scatter on the cake.
Photobucket
Repeat these steps until all the topping is used up. There should be a thick layer of topping.

Bake at 350*F for 55 minutes if using a 8x12 inch pan. Perform a toothpick test to see if the cake is finished baking. Make sure to rotate the pan every 15 minutes or so while baking (rotate the pan 2 times total). Cool pan on wire rack for 30 minutes.
Photobucket
Serve hot and warm, or cool.
Photobucket
If unable to finish the cake, it may be stored in a tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

The cake is really soft and moist when it's hot. When it cools down, it is a bit denser but still lovely. My family loved this cake. Since it was such a big cake, I also brought some to school for my friends. A., the friend who gave me the sugar cookie recipe, said that it was the best cake ever. Other people also gave good reviews of this cake. If you like coffee cakes, this is a must try!


P.S. I also found the exact same recipe here.

10 comments:

  1. hi, i think your cake looks perfect and am sure the cinnamon crumbles really taste good with the cake. I was thinking you're making a "coffee' cake but i think i know what you mean. I was imagining yourself cycling to your grandma's house for the egss and at the same time, thinking about the batter sitting at your kitchen..next time better get ready all the ingredients first..i had also got the experience before but not eggs, it's mascarpone cheese, it has gone bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee cake....love it! But then I thought my eyes were playing tricks. I ran through your ingredients many times but didn't see any coffee there. Must be because of its colour. Love the crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy is that a LOT of baking you did with that sour cream! This cake is lovely. Though I'm the same, I was expecting it to have coffee! Lol. Looks delicious though, I could so use a slice right about now ;).

    Do you read a lot too? Just wondering because you asked me that on my blog haha. I love to read, but I've decided to only buy books from bargain bookstores now. I went into a couple for the first time a few days back, and found books that I had just bought for £2 or less! I paid about £8-10 originally! And these were famous ones like Dan Brown, Phillippa Gregory, Tolkien and Jed Rubenfeld. I was not pleased lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emm...I love crumble cake and yours looks fantastic. It's 11.30pm right now and I'm salivating. haha.... Btw, anyone coming to help you with the cake? May I? ha... thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a great time. And take care.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. lena, As a child, my parents would buy the humongous muffins from Costco and I would love eating their coffee muffins. This cake really reminded me of those muffins, the topping tasted the same and it was soo good. Coffee cake is actually called a coffee cake because of its sweetness. It's great to eat paired with a cup of coffee. The coffee will help downplay the sweetness of the cake, or you can say that the cake helps the coffee be not as bitter. :) While I was riding my bike, I was doing just that. I was wondering if my batter would be alright. I will make sure to prepare all my ingredients beforehand. I never tried baking with mascarpone cheese before, but I heard that it's very costly.

    Mary, Coffee cake is named this way because it goes great with coffee. :) Here's a more detailed explanation. Ironically, I never ate this with coffee, but with or without coffee the cake is still yummy.

    Sharon, Yea, I sure used a ton of sour cream. Here, I'll send you some. lol

    I read so much. Well, you can say that I read a lot back in middle school. When I got into high school, slowly, year by year, the amount of books I read decreased. I used to read 1 book a day. I'm not even kidding. :) Now, unless I can find a good book, I don't read. I can totally relate to you. I hate it when you buy something and then you find the same thing somewhere else for a way cheaper price. I shop on Amazon for good prices now.

    Karly, Thanks again for this wonderful recipe. I will be making this again and again, especially for any special occasion.

    My Little Space, Thanks :) That always happens to me too, whenever I'm looking at blogs at night. Sure, come on over. And you're welcome. Thanks Kristy, take care too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, the mascarpone here is very costly, about USD11/250gm if i'm not mistaken, i think i'll just get ready a few recipes standby like in your case of sour cream beofre they turn bad.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally get you. When you get to university you'll find it decreases even more lol. Is Jodi Piccoult any good? She's one of those authors I ALWAYS see in the bookstores. I pick up one of her books, with all intentions of buying it. Then walk around and see other books then finally decide to put hers down. So I've picked her up loads of times but never actually bought her books or read them.

    I struggle to find good books to read sometimes so I'm always on the lookout too. One you might really like is 'The Good Earth' by Pearl S. Buck. The book won a Pulitzer prize and the author won the Nobel Prize for Literature. It's the first book in a series of three I think. I've only read this one, am looking for the next at a good price lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like the perfect NY coffeecake! Some of them seem to have too much topping for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lena, You should try out tiramisu cake, the type with ladyfingers, if you ever have extra mascarpone cheese on hand. Those taste delicious! Have a nice weekend too. :)

    Sharon, I'm scared about going to college because of all the homework and responsibility. I'll survive though. Yes! Her books are great. Her book My Sister's Keeper was even made into a movie. I love going book shopping just to see what new books have come out. I never actually buy any books because I just wait for them to show up in my library. (Unless they are must reads, like The Hunger Game series.)

    Ok, I'm going to check it out. I never heard of it before though.

    Barbara, I don't think I ever had an "authentic" NY coffeecake before, but they must taste amazing. I wonder why it's called New York coffeecake...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails