Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Croissants

Notice: Since blogger went down recently, I discovered that some of my comments have disappeared. I'll reply to your comments again when I feel like retyping what I said. Also, sorry if your comments disappeared from my previous post. I didn't delete them. :( I appreciate that you left comments though.

When I first started getting serious in baking, I shared some of the goods with my Uncle's family. One day, he came over to my house, saw some croissants on the table, and asked my mom if I made them. I didn't. The croissants were from Costco, but after hearing that, I always wanted to try making croissants. I wanted to learn how to make something new and complicated like croissants. However, I never felt compelled to do so because of all the time needed to make croissants.

After taking on my senior project, it was necessary for me to make croissants because it was one of my goals. The whole process took around a day. Soooo complicated! Pounding out the butter took me a while and rolling out the dough did too. I guess I need more muscle? I had to finish this late at night because I started making the dough and such in the afternoon, after Chinese school and work. I didn't even bake it until the next day because I had to leave it in the fridge as instructed.

I was pretty happy with the results, however for some reason lots of the butter leaked out. While that's a good thing calorie wise, it's also a bad thing because I don't think that's supposed to happen. I asked my brother to evaluate the taste and he said it tasted normal...which I guess is good. My friends on the other hand, really enjoyed it. One of them even thought that I bought the croissants and was only saying that I made them, haha. I think that's all I have to say about these croissants. I'll tell you if I think of anything else.

Croissants
Recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
It can also be found here.
(Recently, I have been making a lot of things from that book.)

Photobucket

Photobucket


Make the croissant dough first.
Photobucket

Mix everything together until a ball forms.
Photobucket

Add more flour if needed. Then let it rise for one hour in the refrigerator.

Photobucket

Meanwhile, make the butter square. Sprinkle a few tbsp of flour onto the butter square and start pounding away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And pounding...

Photobucket

Then refrigerate the butter square as well for one hour.

After one hour, the dough should be puffy and the butter should be ready.

Photobucket

Roll out the dough into a square and place the butter square on top.

Photobucket

Enclose the butter inside by wrapping up the corners and pinching to seal the edges.

Photobucket

Then roll out the dough again. You can see some of the butter.

Photobucket

Fold the dough like you would fold a letter.

Photobucket

Make another two folds.

Photobucket

Wrap with saran wrap and put in the fridge.

Photobucket

After two hours..

Photobucket

Repeat the rolling out, folding and refrigerating.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Roll out the dough again and cut into triangles.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Roll the triangles up. Before doing that, make sure to make a small slit. I didn't bother taking a picture of the slit and rolling because my camera would have suffered too much abuse if I did that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After refrigerating the dough for 10 hours, you'll finally be able to brush the croissants with egg wash and bake them!

Photobucket

Photobucket
This one was the prettiest one.
Photobucket

Enjoy! Your whole house will smell nice and buttery.

Photobucket

The croissants will be especially hot, so don't burn yourself.

Here's the inside.
Photobucket

Some croissants are weirdly shaped, but by that time I couldn't care less. It was already close to 1 in the morning, and I was still making croissants.

Photobucket

Although they were pretty successful, I doubt I ever want to make croissants again, unless I feel like impressing someone, but then it's just way too much trouble. --Is that even grammatically correct?? Well this was a super long post! Good luck to anyone who wishes to try this recipe.

Oh yea, the lighting was off because I took most of the pictures at night. So the dough's color varied sometimes from picture to picture.

Croissants are good with nutella, tuna & mayonnaise, or whatever you can think of. I used to eat tuna and mayo with croissants for breakfast when I was little. My brother thought it looked disgusting, but one day he tried it out and loved it. :P So yea, chocolate can also be incorporated into these croissants before you bake them!

Right now, I'm just being really random. This is my 100th post! Yay! How far I've come! Before I didn't even know how to bake bread. :) And I would always burn my baked treats. Is this my longest post ever?

8 comments:

  1. Esther, these are my super favourite. As you know, I am a kind of bread person. haha... and love anything yeasted as well. I'll have to say you did such a great job. These are perfect. Have a good day, dear.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Esther! I have been wanting to bake some crossiants too! I guess you choose the right recipe, these look fantastic! Worth every ounce of effort. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh you made these! they look wonderfully shaped :D yup, these literally take a day to make, even more than that with all the wait time!!

    the method you used looks simpler in regards to folding, so i think i will fold it like yours next time :) the pounding and rolling was quite frustrating, but the pounding was kind of fun? hahah i'm so violent ;D

    i'm probably going to try them again during winter break :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi esther, 100th post is not easy and you did it! I''ve not thought of making my own croissants becos i always think they are also quite difficult to make and require long hours! Your croissants look great, i think i can sense so much sattisfaction from you for these great looking croissants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so difficult to bake and did a great job!

    I don't think that I'm brave enough to bake this at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on conquering croissants and 100 posts! I'm with you, I'm not sure they are worth all the effort when you can buy delicious ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look really good! :D Did they taste better than the store bought croissants?

    I've always wanted to make croissants- I just haven't found a whole day I can spare to make it yet! haha....They look quite fun to make! But my break is coming up soon- hopefully I'll find time to fit all the things I want to break into that month :D

    btw, happy 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristy, Yea! You were one of the bloggers who helped me get started on my bread journey. Your beautiful bread that looked like they were from a bakery’s made me really interested in bread making. Btw, I saw your chocolate croissant and I will try it one day! Thank you Kristy. :) Have a good week!

    Honey Bee Sweets, Thank you. I saw your croissant bread pudding post and I was thinking “hmmm, maybe I should try making croissants” Yea, they’re worth the effort. However, I barely have enough time to make them.

    Grub, After seeing your croissant post, I really wanted to make these. I loved your croissants shape much, much more!
    Ooo, how did you fold yours? I agree with you! For the rolling, I was continually measuring to see if I met the measurements…that took quite a while. The pounding was kind of loud. I feel bad if it disturbed my family. :/ I hate loud noises, so I personally would be annoyed. But I’m getting off track, lol, it was a good “work out”. :)
    When’s your winter break?

    Lena, I also had some filler posts in between, the holiday ones. :) I hope to be able to reach hundreds of hundreds though. Try it one day when you’re feeling ambitious! They taste even better when they came from your hard work. Thank you.

    Thanks Zoe, If I think about it, they aren’t that difficult, just time consuming. I think you’ll be brave enough soon! You’re already experimenting with the different bread making methods, croissants are as easy as that. Just read the directions carefully and handle your dough gently and you’ll be fine. :D

    Barbara Bakes, Thank you! Yes, and I was wondering if using up that much butter was worth it either haha.

    Von, Thanks! I think they tasted the same. Fresher of course, but otherwise pretty much the same. My brother said they tasted normal, so he meant that they tasted the same.
    Maybe you’ll need to find a recipe that can accommodate your schedule. There must be one out there somewhere. You sound sooo busy! School must be hard. I hope you get to do the things you want! :D Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails