Friday, February 21, 2014

Bibimbap 비빔밥

 One of my favorite foods is bibimbap.  Bibimbap is a Korean dish.  Bibim (비빔) means mix and bap (밥) means rice.  I can't remember when I first ate it, but after that first time I always craved it.  I've always wanted to try making it myself, but then all the veggies that are required scared me away from trying out the recipe.  I wanted to buy every single ingredient required before I attempted making this.  Because of this, it took me a few months before I actually tried making it myself.  However, I ended up making it with only a few veggies.  The veggies I used were bean sprouts, carrots, and spinach.  I didn't have any zucchinis, mushrooms, gosari, garlic, or sesame seeds.  I was worried it wouldn't turn out well because I was lacking so many ingredients, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Also, I used some ground pork that I had left in the freezer for a year.  It was still good! Hahaha.

I followed Maangchi's recipe for bibimbap and used Korean Bapsang for the red pepper paste sauce.


College Student's Version of Bibimbap
Slightly adapted from Maangchi's recipe.

 photo DSCN7926.jpg 
 Before mixing.

 photo DSCN7933.jpg
After mixing.

Serves 3-4
Ingredients
3 cups cooked rice
1 package of bean sprouts
2 bunches of spinach
2 carrots
1 cup of ground pork (marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar)
3 eggs
Soy sauce, salt, sesame oil (added to taste)
Red pepper paste sauce

Red Pepper Paste Sauce
6 tbsp red pepper paste
1.5 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp sesame oil
4.5 tbsp water

Mix all of the above together for red pepper paste sauce, which will then be added to the rice and veggies to taste.

First, begin by cooking your rice.  Marinate the pork in soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar.

Boil water.  Rinse the bean sprouts 3 times before adding them into the boiling water.  Cook for 10 or more minutes, until they taste crunchy still, but not raw.  Remove from the water and season with sesame oil and salt.

Wash the spinach and chop into 3 parts.  Cook in boiling water for one minute.  Immediately remove from the water after 1 minute and rinse with cold water.  Squeeze out the water in the spinach so it isn't so soggy.  Add soy sauce, salt and sesame oil to taste.

Julienne the carrots and stir fry for a few minutes until cooked.  Add some salt to taste.

Cook the marinated ground pork.

Cook the three eggs sunny-side up.

Mix the red pepper paste and assemble everything.

First start off with rice in the bowl, then arrange the veggies by color, top it off with an egg and drizzle the red pepper paste.
 photo DSCN7931.jpg
Take a look at all your hardwork hahaha, before mixing everything up.
Enjoy!!
 photo DSCN7929.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Hey, it's been a while, do you remember me? I was browsing my blog and saw an old comment from you, so I popped over. Your blog is great, there are lots of interesting bakes, gonna look through them when I have the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really nice topic, which is very useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is very open and very clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very useful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful very useful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails