Wednesday, September 7, 2011

California Sushi

On the day of Mother's Day, my dad and uncle planned to make dinner for our moms (my aunt, my mom and my grandma). After I discovered that my uncle was going to make sushi, I rushed over to his house to learn how to make it. When I was little, I thought sushi was disgusting. However, after trying my uncle's sushi and tasting the weird, orange fish eggs, I found that sushi isn't that bad. Now I even go to eat sushi buffets!  I still don't like sashimi though.

The most complicated part of sushi is prepping. Cooking the rice, slicing the cucumber and avocados, cooking eggs, and etc. I think it is totally worth it though. If you go out to buy sushi, you spend $5 on a few pieces alone. If you make it yourself, you can make several rolls with $5 of ingredients.

California Sushi
Recipe from my uncle, who got it from a church friend

Makes 10 rolls, each roll may be sliced into ~10 pieces


Photobucket

Photobucket



Ingredients
5 cups of rice, seasoned with rice vinegar and sugar, to taste
5 eggs
1 avocado, sliced thinly, into 20 strips
4 tbsp roe eggs mixed with 4 tbsp mayonnaise

2 sticks imitation crab meat, sliced into strips
2 cucumbers, sliced into 20 slices
10 pieces of seaweeed

Whisk 5 eggs until uniform in mixture and cook in two batches. The point of this is to make the eggs layered. cooking it in thin layers and folding it in half, cook a little more egg on the other side. Fold it in half again and add a little more egg on the other side. Do this so that after you fold it over, like an omelet, you will have 4 layers of this egg.  Then cut the egg into strips.

When all the ingredients are ready, get out your seaweed and rice.  Carefully spread the rice on the seaweed to prevent tearing.  When placing the filling, try to place it with the smooth side against the rice, so when you roll it up the sushi will not be malformed.  Place the egg, avocado, cucumber, crab meat, roe eggs, and anything else you would like to add onto the rice.  Roll it up carefully using a bamboo mat.  Also, placing the fillings depending on the color will make the sushi prettier.  As the saying goes, practice makes perfect!  so when you start off you might have trouble rolling it up.  As you go along, it will get easier and easier and soon you will be a master. :D

 Cook the sushi rice and season with rice vinegar and sugar.  Cover the rice with saran wrap to let it cool down slowly.
Photobucket

Cucumbers and avocado.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Slice the avocados into thin pieces.
Photobucket
Set aside the avocado.

Whisk the eggs and prepare and grease a pan for cooking the eggs.
Photobucket

Cook a thin layer of eggs.
Photobucket
Divide the 5 eggs you whisked into two batches.

After the first layer is almost cooked, fold it in half and pour another thin layer onto the other half of the pan.
Photobucket

Let it cook a little longer and then fold it in half again.
Photobucket


 So that it becomes like an omelet.
Photobucket

Add yet another layer by pouring in some more whisked eggs.

Photobucket

Then you end up with this.
Photobucket

Slice the "omelet" into thing strips, about finger width.
Photobucket


Here are all the rest of the ingredients, ready to go.
Photobucket

Photobucket


Here are the fish eggs mixed with some mayonnaise, with enough to make it spreadable.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The fish eggs were so shiny and sparkly I couldn't resist taking several pictures.

Here's imitation crab meat, torn into strips.
Photobucket
Photobucket

The brand of seaweed my uncle used.

Photobucket
Spread a thin layer of rice onto a piece of seaweed like that.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Place the toppings on top like that.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Roll it up.
Photobucket
Wrap your sushi in saran wrap to keep it fresh while you finish rolling the rest of your sushi.  This also keeps the seaweed from sticking to the other rolls.


Photobucket

Photobucket
Tada!
Photobucket
Enjoy all your hard work.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that looks like a LOT of sushi! And pretty tasty sushi too :D I love making sushi, but it usually gets eaten so much quicker than I can make it :D haha....I love the addition of fish eggs in sushi- and I love how you mixed it with mayo- it looks so good, I think I could just eat it by itself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually love eating that fish egg very much. Quite a bit of work, huh? yes i'm sure the end results are so much satisfying and rewarding!! Thumbs to you for making your own sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Von, That was quite a lot of sushi, but it was polished off very quickly! LOL, that's pretty funny. I think mixing it with mayo helps make the egg-spreading process much easier. :) You sure could do that, especially if you end up with lots of the eggs left over. :D

    Lena, Cool, have you tried many different kinds? Before, I used to think they were disgusting, but now I enjoy them too. The results are definitely rewarding! Thanks! Thumbs up to my Uncle for being the teacher and passing down the recipe to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails