Monday, June 7, 2010

Browned Butter Vanilla Cupcake

School is almost ending in a few more days, two to be exact. I am soooo excited! More time to bake and what not. Because school is ending soon, I made some cupcakes last week as thanks to my AP biology lab group for being great partners. I am happy that we were a group; we got along well and even became friends. So I asked them if they wanted some cupcakes and they said yes. Excited, I started baking the cupcakes. But after seeing the finished cupcakes, I was hesitant to give them to my group. I didn't have enough time to bake other things, so I ended giving it to them. However, although those cupcakes were not the best looking cupcakes, my lab group along with my family still enjoyed eating them.

Photobucket
So I made some vanilla butter cupcakes making this the second time I ever made cupcakes from scratch. It turned out to be a flop. Sure, the cupcakes smelled and tasted good, but appearance wise they looked terrible. What I learned was that I'm probably better at baking cookies and muffins rather than cupcakes.
Photobucket
Although Baking Bite's cupcakes were so pretty, mine turned out looking like those fa gao Asian cupcakes. The butter clumped up when I mixed it in with the milk because I forgot to bring the milk to room temperature and I should have known better. This caused my cupcakes to develop holes because the little clumps of butter melted while baking. Another thing was that I over mixed the batter trying to get rid of the clumps which probably led to the Asian cake texture.

Here the butter is being heated up.
Photobucket
Starting to bubble.
Photobucket
Boiling.
Photobucket
Successful brown color. It really does smell nutty.
Photobucket
Add butter to milk.
Photobucket
Looks fine.

Photobucket
Oppsies!
Photobucket
I tried mushing the clumps away and ended up over mixing.
Batter poured into cupcake liners.
Photobucket
The final product.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Brown spots = butter

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I think what you meant here is Browned Butter Vanilla Cupcakes, and not Browned Vanilla Butter Cupcakes. It brings on a different meaning.

    BTW, actually you could've just reheated the milk and butter mixture, so that the butter will melt, before you mix it with the flour.
    Or just use a sieve to remove clumps, rather than mixing it with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks, I did not catch that. :)

    Thank you for your helpful advice, I'm always learning from you. I never would have thought of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love hearing about your thoughts and/or your advice. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails